According to the results of 2013 volume of passenger transportations in Kharkov International Airport reached 605 thsnd of passengers, which is for 21% higher than previous year. In general, during last five years airport has constant increase of passenger traffic in average for 20-30% annually.
Main part of passenger transportations (87%) is performed internationally (more than 526 thsnd of people in 2013). In particular, in December of 2013 passenger traffic to Kharkov International Airport reached 43 thsnd of people, including 37,6 thsnd of passengers using the services of international flights, and 5,5 thsnd of passengers – the local flights. Total number of aircraft departures in 2013 reached 4809; just in December of the last year it reached 384, including 261 departures abroad and 123 departures inside the country.
The year of 2013 was the year of numerous achievements of Kharkov International Airport, including:
- Opening at the airport of modern multilevel Air traffic service center (project initiator and supervisor – SE UkSATSE);
- Certification of airfield runway according to the second ICAO category (ILS CAT II) enabling runway use in complicated weather conditions;
- Beginning of cooperation with one of the leaders of European low-cost transportation market – WizzAir airline, and launch of direct regular low-budget flights from Kharkov to Warsaw (Poland) and Kutaisi (Georgia);
- Putting in operation of basic airline Kharkov Airlines - during the first year of its operation it started to perform flights from Kharkov to several directions: Antalya (Turkey), Iraklion (Greece), Monastir (Tunisia), Hurghada and Sharm El Sheikh (both - Egypt);
- Opening of direct regular flights from Kharkov to Baku (Azerbaijan) and Yerevan (Armenia) (flights on the routes are performed by airline UTair Ukraine);
- Opening of new seasonal flights in directions to Athens, Monastir, Rhodes, Podgoritsa;
- Increase of flight frequency at the route Kharkov – Moscow (Sheremetyevo) – Kharkov (Aeroflot airline) up to 2 times a day;
- Opening of General aviation service rendering services for business aviation;
- Launch of the following new passenger services:
- Organization of transfers free of charge from Belgorod, Dnepropetrovsk, Poltava to Kharkov International airport and back;
- Opening of cash desks selling airport services;
- Introduction of special tariffs for the flights of certain airlines (including the flight Kharkov – Kiev – Kharkov of UTair airline with go-pass ticket price of UAH: 990, all taxes and fees included).
Kharkiv International Airport (http://hrk.aero/) is one of the key objects of the capital of Sloboda Ukraine. It was reconstructed in preparation for the finals of the European Football Championship 2012. The large-scale project dates back to April 1, 2008, when New Sistems AM (DCH Group owned by Aleksandr Yaroslavsky, a well-known Ukrainian businessman, general investor and coordinator of the Kharkiv preparations for Euro 2012, the President of FC Metalist in 2005-2012) won a competition for a long-term lease of an integral property complex at the Kharkiv Airport.
The Kharkiv International Airport was reconstructed in the form of state and private partnership. Aleksandr Yaroslavsky has invested in the project (airport and surrounding area) $ 107.2 million in total. The State Budget has invested $ 191.3 million in the reconstruction of the airport.